Friday, June 29, 2007

Welcome Literary Superwoman Deatri King Bey Who Has Stepped Out Of Her Comfort Zone With Style

Trapped in the Comfort Zone

By Deatri King-Bey

Recently, we moved our family from Chicago, IL to Phoenix, AZ. No big deal. People move across country every day of the week. The part that had many of our family and friends scratching their heads was one day my husband came home and said, “How do you feel about moving to Arizona?” He loved his job in Chicago, we had a nice house, my youngest was finishing up her sophomore year in high school, all looked good and fine in the King-Bey household.

Seven weeks later we now live in Phoenix Arizona. Even my nephew, oldest daughter (along with my grandson) moved down with us. Why did we make this move and shake up the Universe (smile)? Because we had become too comfortable, thus complacent. Don’t get me wrong. We had a great life, BUT we’d been wanting to live in the Southwest since we moved away from Dallas thirteen years ago to attend college (on scholarships) in Chicago. Then we obtained great jobs in Chicago and stuck! Tooooo comfortable. We entered the comfort zone and became leery of stepping out. You know what I mean, why give up what you have for the unknown?

This was a major example of being “Trapped In the Comfort Zone,” but we all do this to ourselves every day of the week whether it be foods we eat (or won’t try), clothing we wear, places we’ll go, shows we watch, books we read, what paths we take in our career…

Even authors, such as myself, become trapped in the comfort zone. I write mainstream fiction and romance. When I was asked to write an erotic romance, I said, “No way. I can’t write that stuff.” My best friend badgered me into it. Even as I began writing the novel, I was not comfortable, but you know what? Being uncomfortable is sometimes a good thing.

I’d said no to an opportunity without giving it real consideration. Not because I had something morally against writing or reading erotic romance (I do enjoy reading erotic tales, SMILE.). I’d become trapped in the comfort zone—the easy life—and almost missed a chance to grow as an author.

That’s the danger of being trapped in the comfort zone. Have you missed out on growth opportunities because you’ve been trapped in the comfort zone? Are you stuck in a rut?

Well, I wrote the erotic romance. I’m elated I was poked and prodded out of the comfort zone. Whisper Something Sweet hit the bookshelves in June, and I’ve received more Kudos for that novel than all of my other novels combined. One of my friends said I’m hearing more from people about this novel because it is erotic, but that’s not so. Even though the readers are mentioning how much they love the sensuality within the novel, they are really complementing the plot and characterization. I don’t want to make this post about my novel. Kim wrote a fantastic review for it for BBWReviewers.com. Check out all of the reviews at Amazon.com.

I’ve said all of this to warn you to watch out for the comfort zone, don’t become trapped!

Much Joy Peace and Love

Deatri King-Bey

http://www.deewrites.com

2 comments:

Shelia said...

Deatri...ironically earlier today I was thinking the same thing about my "pattern." I wash clothes on X day. I go to the post office on X,Y,Z day, etc. This post reminds me I need to get in the "habit" of not having a "habit" about certain things.

Unknown said...

I like that Shelia. I need to make a t-shirt that says

My only habit is not having habits.

Peace
Deatri